Friday, January 4, 2008

The Real Thing



It's been quite a while since I've posted. I've had rather ambitious
plans about a big "what I intend to eat in the New Year" type of post
reminiscent of most other bloggers but unlike most bloggers, I forgot
I had a restaurant to run and that tends to take up most of my time.

Still suprises me sometimes.

Fact is, there isn't anything I'm really dying to eat in the New Year.
Other than really good food. I love dining out and I love dining in. Just love
dining. Good food can be found anywhere. So I'll stand back from dropping names
and showing off.

What I will talk about now is how I recently was brought back to every reason
I became what I am today.
We spent Christmas this year at my Aunt Gladys' house. Back to the Bronx for perhaps the best lasagne ever.
Really. Ever. But I'm going to go to her house soon and cook with her and that
right there will be one hell of a post so I'll leave the lasagne tip until later.

I always say that my favorite sweets from childhood are Italian bakery cookies.
Reginas, taralle...and don't get me started on the rainbow cookies. Where did those come from anyway???
I started to think in recent years that I just lost my taste for them. Didn't quite do for me what they did when I was a kid. So I wrote them off with the other things that don't quite do it for me anymore.

Now I know why.
Aunt Gladys had cookies from the bakery we always went to when I was a kid.
And yes, they were to die for. Why anyone would make a biscotti of lesser quality is beyond me.
They were from Sal and Doms on Allerton Avenue. Sal and Doms has maintained the
same quality all these years. Veniero's and DiRoberti's pale in comparison.

I'm a little suprised with all the hoopla people make about Arthur Avenue and the
amazing Italian food of the Bronx, no one has written about Sal and Doms.
It is truly the best.

Sal and Dom's Bakery
1108 Allerton Avenue
Bronx, NY

5 comments:

BxCapricorn said...

Aunt Gladdis makes the best lasagna? YOU better get that recipe! Don't let her pull that, "what's that over there, dear?" or "Can you get me the [fill in the blank]", as they slip in their secret ingredients. That's classic I-talian, trickery. BTW, my crew-mate is an I-talian from Philly, and when we had him over for dinner, served cannolis from the one bakery in Las Vegas that makes them RIGHT. He was almost moved to tears.

BxCapricorn said...

Oh, and my blog
www.bxcapricorn.wordpress.com
is now getting 400 plus hits-a-day. Are you investing in any stocks these days? My pick to click for years to come? Dolby (DLB). Buy it under $50, sit back. Relax.

BxCapricorn said...

Heather,
Checked my mailbox today and no Sal and Dom's cookies.

jefe3000 said...

It's nice to see you're alive, Ms. Anderson. I'll have to get lunch with you the next time I'm in town.

Unknown said...

Italian food is my absolute favorite, and I have tried almost every restaurant of its kind in the New York area. My spot of choice is always Umbertos in the Bronx on Arthur Avenue. The dishes are huge in portion size and the food is unbeatable.